1/12/2009

Dry Skin


I have been dealing with dry skin. I call it winter skin...

I have tried a few things that are making a difference. If you are dealing with this problem take a look at the following and see if any of these improve the problem.

Moisturize More You may have found a moisturizer that works just fine in summer. But as weather conditions change, so, too, should your skin care. I have been using an "ointment" moisturizer that's oil-based, instead of a water-based, as the oil will create a protective layer on the skin that retains more moisture than a cream or lotion. *****Big Hint: Many lotions labeled as (night cream) are oil-based.

But choose your oils with care because not all oils are appropriate for the face. Instead, look for "non clogging" oils, like mineral oil, avocado oil, or even primrose oil.

Shea oil or butter is controversial they may clog the facial pores. Vegetable shortening is a big no no!! It just sits on the skin and makes it greasy it does not absorb into the skin.

You can also look for lotions containing "humectants," including glycerin or alpha hydroxy acids that will make your skin feel great because they actually attract moisture to your skin.

I have been doing my microderm abrasion a little less often but love the alpha hydroxy acids because they really do make a difference.

Here is another thing that has been making a difference. My Humidifier!!! Thank heavens for these. No longer living near the ocean, I love my Humidifier year round. With Central heating as well as dry air it really makes a bad combo. Get a Humidifier and you will love the difference in your skin.

Leave a comment if you have something to share that has worked for you. It's nice to get feedback from others!!